Timeline

Dates in the history of Twyfords, which has its roots in the 1680s 




 Twyford in the Seventeeth Century - 1600s   


1630  William Twyford (Father of Joshua, the potter) owned property in Shelton, a village half way between Stoke and Hanley. He was a yeoman farmer, owned his own land and was the Warden of the Church in Stoke-on-Trent, where he is now buried. He had a son Joshua, who was born on the 6 December 1640, and we know he was making pottery in a simple kiln in Shelton some 25 years later.

1680  JOSHUA TWYFORD (1640 - 1729 Aged 89)  is thought to have been born at Shelton, near Stoke-on-Trent, a member of a dynastic Staffordshire potting family. He was baptized on 6 December 1640 at Stoke-on-Trent, the son of William Twyford and his wife, Margaret.  He was buried at Stoke-on-Trent parish church in 1729. He was the first Twyford to make commercial pottery near Shelton Old Hall, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. Specimens of his work can be seen at the Potteries Museum in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, including a salt glazed stoneware teapot inscribed ‘Sarah Twyford’.



 Twyford in the Eighteenth Century - 1700s   


1700  Black Teapot reputed to have been manufactured by Twyford.

Black  'sprigged' Teapot
Photo: courtesy of The Potteries Museum, Hanley
1729  JOSHUA TWYFORD died. The precise date production ceased at Twyford’s original factory is not known, but the Twyford family continued potting in the district with a possible a lapse of a generation.



 Twyfords in the Nineteenth Century - 1800s   


Sanitaryware production commenced in 1849 when Thomas Twyford established his factory in Bath Street, Hanley. He began manufacturing elementary toilet bowls (for use in Valve Closets) and washbasins. In that same year Thomas had a son, Thomas William, and it was Thomas William who, in his twenties, took over the running of the factory and rapidly expanded the company. In 1887 Thomas William built his new 'model' factory in Cliffe Vale, Stoke-on-Trent, and by then his one-piece, all-ceramic, free-standing, washout pedestal closet, designed in 1883, was in full production. By the end of the century the sanitaryware industry was fully developed and all of the bathroom products we are accustomed to today had been designed and developed.

1827  THOMAS TWYFORD was born.

1849  THOMAS TWYFORD established two factories where washbasins and closet pans of an elementary nature were made. 
  • The first was his Bath Street Works in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. The street has been renamed Garth Street. Application for demolition of the factory was made in  in 2012 and it was subsequently demolished.

Magnificent terracotta sign for  the  Bath Street Works. 1849 Now Garth Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
In 2012 planning permission was sought demolish the factory. The factory was subsequently demolished
  • The second was his Abbey Works in Bucknall, Stoke-on-Trent. Twyford commenced exporting to America, Russia, Australia, France, Germany, Spain and many other countries.

1849 - 23 September  THOMAS WILLIAM TWYFORD was born. He was born in Hanover Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent.





1865
Trade Advertisement 1865


Trade Advertisement in  1865 Keates Directory

1870  The 'Annus Mirabilis' of the water closet. 1870 was the start of thirty years of massive growth of the Twyfords company and a flood of sanitary invention.

1872  THOMAS TWYFORD died. Thomas William, at the age of just 23, took over the running of the blossoming company.

1879  The DELUGE - the 'all new' wash-down pan.  This is a page from the 1879 Catalogue



1883/4  THOMAS WILLIAM TWYFORD introduced the all-ceramic, free-standing, one-piece, washout, pedestal closet. The UNITAS. 

This incorporated the WC pan with an integral trap as one piece of pottery without the need for a surrounding wooden cabinet. The UNITAS was exported throughout the world and the name itself is used to this day in the Russian language to mean 'toilet'.



The Unitas 1883

1887  Twyford’s Cliffe Vale factory was built as a 'model' factory. The new factory’s toilet facilities and systems of ventilation were treated by Government Inspectors of Factories as a pattern for the whole of Staffordshire. Every workman had his own opening window.
   
Thomas William Twyford

1889  The first washbasins with combined overflows introduced by Twyford.

1890  Twyfords brought a group of Scotsmen with their families to Stoke-on-Trent and established a factory at Cliffe Vale to manufacture fireclay.

1896  Twyfords formed into a Private Limited Company.


1896  Mr Twyford's OWN bath. Mr Thomas William Twyford had this bath made for himself and installed at his house - Whitmore Hall, near Newcastle under Lyme. Manufactured from Fireclay.  Decorated to look like marble.

Thomas William Twyford's own bath

1899  The company became a member of The Sanitaryware Manufacturers Association on 26 June with a subscription of £320.

1900  The company became a member of The Fireclay Pedestal Closet Manufacturers Association
on 21 July with a subscription of £50



 Twyfords in the Twentieth Century - 1900s   


1901  Twyfords built a factory in Ratingen, Germany, but vacated it in 1914 during the First World War. It was not reoccupied by Twyford but the Keramag company was established and produces sanitaryware at the factory to this day.




1901  Twyfords gets a telephone!  And the number was ... Hanley 45

1910  The origins of Edward Curran Engineering Co. was founded. Edward Curran manufactured in Cardiff in South Wales and eventually joined Twyfords producing baths.

1911  A new Twyfords fireclay factory was built at Cliffe Vale, Stoke-on-Trent, opposite the Head Offices.

1911  Publication of Twyfords latest Catalogue, the huge 'J' Catalogue. Printed in black and white on glossy 'art' paper. Hard back, gold leaf impressed.





1912  Twyfords 'Etruria Works' was constructed from large buildings previously used as winter quarters by Barnum and Bailey’s circus.



1914  Edward Curran Engineering developed expertise in drawing and shaping metal and were involved in producing armaments used in the First World War.

1917 Thomas Twyford gave land at Cliffe Vale, free of charge, to ‘The Land Cultivation Special Committee of Stoke-on-Trent Council’ whose aim was ‘supplementing the table supply of vegetables’. This was on condition that it was cultivated for a minimum of 3 years.  From The Potteries Gazette and Glass Trade Review February 1917 page 180. Thanks to Kathy Niblett for this little gem!

1919  Twyfords became a Public Limited Company.

'The period between the two World Wars was one of consolidation and expansion for the company, particularly in export markets. In 1945, when the war ended, the company was faced with tremendous demand from almost every part of the globe for its products. This was a period of great change in the pottery industry when the old traditional methods of firing in 'bottle ovens' changed to the new practice of firing in tunnel kilns. A great step forward and a blessing for everyone. This meant that all factories had to modernise and replace their kilns or go out of business. For instance, at the Twyfords Etruria factory all the bottle ovens had to be knocked down and tunnel kilns constructed over a period of two to three years, without losing production. At that time due to the war damage and the development of Third World Nations the demand for sanitaryware was enormous and the problem was to keep pace with it.'

1921  THOMAS WILLIAM TWYFORD died 21st March. He was recognised as a leading pioneer in the application of principles of hygiene to sanitary appliances. In his death notice it said “Mr Twyford’s name will be long and honourably remembered as one of the pioneers in the application of the principles of hygiene to Sanitary Appliances and the development of their use throughout the world. His death removes us from one who was held in the highest esteem and respect by all who knew him.”





Twyford's Grave. Whitmore Churchyard near Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire Thomas William Twyford is buried here with his wife and daughter
Twyford's Grave. Whitmore Churchyard near Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire
Thomas William Twyford is buried here with his wife and daughter 

1929  A new, silent, black and white movie film showing the sanitaryware processes was commissioned as a marketing tool by the new Twyford's management. This is an edited version with a voice over by Jim Gibson.





1931 HRH Prince George KG visits Cliffe Vale factory, accompanied by J T Webster, Managing Director






1945  Reconstruction of Etruria Works started and the first tunnel kilns installed.



Twyfords E Works 1950



1949  Twyfords works outing to Blackpool






1951 Cliffe Vale Works still firing product in bottle ovens with coal as the fuel, belching smoke across the adjacent Hanley Cemetery.


Twyfords Cliffe Vale Works
Photo: E J D Warrillow Collection  Date: 1951

1953  The Fireclay factory, Cliffe Vale, Stoke-on-Trent was reconstructed (it suffered bomb damage during the second world war.)


Twyfords Fireclay Works. Bomb damage during Second Worls War
Enemy planes were aiming for the nearby Shelton Steel Works


1956  Construction starts at Alsager, Cheshire, of a vitreous china factory was started on a 52 acre site.  The first stage was completed in 1958.


Twyfords Alsager Factory built 1957




1957  Publication of Twyfords latest catalogue, the Black Catalogue. Coincided with the opening of the Alsager factory.

During the 1960s Twyfords established factories in South Africa, Australia and India. more here>

1959/1960  Hindustan Twyfords Ltd. was incorporated to introduce vitreous china sanitaryware for the first time in India. 

"With a mission to revolutionize sanitaryware ware market in India, Mr. Rajendra K. Somany, in collaboration with Twyfords Ltd. of UK, established Hindustan Twyfords with a factory at Bahadurgarh, near Delhi, in 1960. 

Backed by innovative products, Hindustan Twyfords was the first company to introduce vitreous china ceramics into India.


Keeping in mind the need to change the sanitation conditions in the country, his vision and goal found perfect harmony with his desire to do something for the social welfare of the nation as well. With this thought, enormous encouragement given by his family and with technical support provided by Twyfords, Mr. Somany founded the Bahadurgarh plant which commenced its production in 1962.


And since then, every year has turned out to be more eventful, successful and ever challenging. We have set several milestones marking our achievements in creating innovative products, market penetration, internal expansion, as well as venturing out into new businesses – container glass and home retail."
  more here>

1958 June  Manufacture of Ceramant Twice-fired vitreous china at the original Cliffe Vale Factory ceased as the new Alsager factory came on stream.

1960 May  The Seventh International Ceramic Congress was held in England.  Twyford was host to visitors from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Italy, Czechoslovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden and Argentina.

1960  The production of earthenware sanitaryware ceased.

1961  Edward Curran Engineering, Cardiff, South Wales, invested in a new 1600 ton steel press to produce high quality steel bath tubs.

1962  Twyfords established a small factory at Alberton, eight miles from Johannesburg, South Africa. A company called Twyfords (South Africa) Pty was formed - wholly owned by the parent company.


Twyford South Africa

1963 - 18 March  Twyfords commenced manufacture of vitreous china in India. The Chairman of the the new company was Mr. H. L. Somany.  Mr. J. R. T Hay was the MD and Chairman of Twyford Ltd., England, at the time.  more>

1969  Twyfords (Australia) PTY Ltd. formed and building commenced for the new Australian Factory

1970  Twyfords commenced manufacture of vitreous china in a new factory located at Broadmeadows, Melbourne, Australia.


Twyfords Australia


1970  Twyfords widened its range of fittings by manufacturing its own brand of luxury tap fittings - AZTEC - in gold or chrome finish. Now regarded as a classic. Designed by David Johnson.

Aztec

1970  The parent company changed its name on 16 March 1970 to Twyfords Holding Ltd and the UK operation of the Group, formerly part of the parent company's activities, were transferred to a new Company known as Twyfords Limited, with effect from 1 April 1970.






1971 Early June  Discussions took place with Glynwedconcerning a possible merger of the two companies. By Mid August the bid by Glynwed was rejected as too low.

1971 September  Twyfords acquired by Reed International Limited>. The Reed Building Products Division was formed, including Key Terrain, the makers of plastic plumbing systems; Edward Curran Engineering Ltd, Cardiff; Cameron Irrigation; Walker Crosweller; PWP Glazing Products; Burn Bros; Celluform; N.V.Koninklijke Sphinx, Holland and of course Twyford.

1972  Edward Curran Engineering> began to manufacture acrylic baths.

1973  Edward Curran Engineering Limited of Cardiff, the UK leading makers of steel baths, joined Reed Building Products division, adding steel and acrylic baths to Twyford’s range of sanitaryware.

1975  Walker Crossweller (MIRA showers) of Cheltenham, the leading manufacturers of shower fittings, joined Reed Building Products.

1976  A £5 million expansion scheme for the Alsager vitreous china factory completed.

1977  In 1977 The Queen's Silver Jubilee was marked with celebrations at every level throughout the country and Commonwealth. Twyfords introduced a special limited edition suite in sepia brown with gold decoration and gold plated fittings. (Interestingly not silver or chrome).  The bath was the acrylic Montrose corner bath, the washbasin was the Louise, and the WC was the Brampton double-trap syphonic. The bidet was equipped with special rising spray.



  


1984  A further extension of Alsager factory completed by the acquisition of an additional 7 acre site with a 70,000 sq. ft. warehouse.

1985 October  Twyfords acquired by Caradon Limited who purchased the whole of the U.K. operations of Reed Building Products.

1986  The company name became Caradon Twyfords, a member of the Caradon Group of companies. Vehicles repainted with new livery.





1986  Twyford Living Bathrooms retailing concept launched.

1986  The Twyford Fountain displayed at The National Garden Festival, Stoke.




1987  Caradon becomes a Public Limited Company.

1988 September  Twyford ColleXion mail order bathroom accessories launched. Product range included tiles and wallpaper, curtains and fabric, carpets and accessories, and luxury towels and robes. The ColleXion warehouse is established at the Garner Street works.





1989  Caradon invest £10 million in improved manufacturing and design facilities at Alsager, Stoke and Cardiff.


Sky view of Twyfords Alsager Factory at its peak. 1994

1989  October Caradon Group was purchased by MB Group which already included Stelrad Radiators, Ideal Boilers and Doulton Bathrooms.  Twyford merges with Doulton Bathrooms – new sales office set up in 1990. more here>

1990  Twyfords ColleXion - its second brochure was launched and at this time Twyfords had 10 different pottery colours in its portfolio.



1990  Garner St (E Works) factory closes.

1991  Twyfords ColleXion mail order accessories business sold to H&S Distributors (H&S later went out of business).


1992  MB Caradon invested £13 million in a new National Distribution Centre and new head office, showroom and administrative block on the Alsager site, which became the largest single unit devoted to vitreous china production and distribution in Europe.  (The site at Alsager now covered 70 acres.)

Twyford Bathrooms NDC - fully open in 1993

1993  MB Caradon acquired Pillar Group of companies for £800 million including brand names Catnic, Friedland, Garador, MK Electrical. Group turnover increased to over £2Billion and a workforce of 25,000 and comprising 300 manufacturing or distribution locations throughout the world.

1993 September Caradon Bathrooms launches it 'First In Service' programme for all employees. The company mission and its four key goals were announced.

1997 February Announcement that Twyford's Cardiff Factory (manufacturing Steel and Acrylic Baths) would close in the April.

1997 Twyford's 'art deco' styled bathroom suite called Clarice is launched.

1998  Caradon Plumbing Solutions launched as a new trading company for the ten major plumbing brands within the Caradon Group. 




1999  Twyford’s 150th birthday. Staff and pensioners celebrated with a slice of birthday cake!





1999  The Royal Warrant awarded to Twyford Bathrooms.








 Twyfords in the Twenty First Century - 2000 and on   


In August 2011 the Twyford Alsager factory was closed. The portfolio of products was outsourced and the factory site was given planning permission in 2014 for a Sainsbury's supermarket and housing. At the moment (Summer 2015) Twyford's administrative office, showroom and logistics remain on the site.

2000  Royal Doulton bathrooms brand launched for retail bathroom showrooms.




2000 November  Caradon Plumbing Solutions purchased by HSBC Private Equity.







2000 Montagu Private Equity  buys Caradon Plumbing in a transaction with total funding of £496 million (€794 million).

"Caradon Plumbing was one of the largest manufacturers and suppliers of plumbing and heating products in the UK, employing some 3,900 staff across ten manufacturing sites when acquired. It had a market leading position in its four core product areas of showers, bathrooms, boilers and radiators. Its brands included Mira and Rada in showers, Twyford and Doulton in bathrooms and Ideal Boilers and Stelrad Radiators. It was primarily a UK business but had pan-European operations in the radiator market.

Elements of the Caradon Plumbing business dated back to the early twentieth century. The businesses were brought together during the 1980's as a result of the Management Buyout of Reed Building Products to form Caradon and the acquisition of Carnaud-Metal Box in 1989.

In July 2001, Mira Showers was sold for £301 million (€481 million) to US-based Kohler Corporation. This disposal followed the earlier sale of Twyford Bathrooms to Sanitec plc for £84 million, and completed the programme of disposals planned at the time of acquisition. At this point, Montagu recouped its entire investment. Following a re-financing, which returned over half the original investment, the remaining boilers and radiators businesses were sold to Warburg Pincus in 2005."

2001 January Twyford Bathrooms sold to the SANITEC Corporation of Helsinki, Finland fro £84 million.  Sanitec was Europe’s largest producer of Ceramic sanitaryware in Europe.  Caradon name was dropped.  Twyford Bathrooms was re-established with the Twyford, Doulton and Royal Doulton brands of bathroom products.

About Sanitec – “Home of the Bathroom” Sanitec is the leader in bathroom ceramics in Europe. We have a unique portfolio of some of the most well-known brands with deep roots in the European fixtures markets, strategically positioned to address local markets. We care passionately about people’s needs when it comes to complete bathroom concepts, providing products that stand for guaranteed quality, high level of innovation and attractive design. Stable relationships with key stakeholders in the value chain and our unique brand strengths foster our leading position as well as the loyalty and trust among our customers, our network of installers and the end users of our products. Sanitec operates an integrated European group with an unparalleled local presence to provide the best value when it comes to bathroom products.”


2001 January - Extract courtesy: www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk  More than 700 workers at a bathroom factory face a second major shake-up within four months after their workplace was bought for £82 million by a Finnish rival. A company spokesman admitted a "handful" of staff at Alsager-based Caradon Bathrooms will lose their current positions within the company. But all the affected workers will be offered new jobs within the Bath Street (?) factory and no-one will have to reapply for their jobs when Sanitec takes over. Mark Pickering, managing director of Caradon Bathrooms, said: "We are pleased to become part of a focused bathrooms product group with as good a reputation as Sanitec. We are optimistic about the opportunities that Sanitec brings for the employees of the company, our customers and the management team here in the UK." The Finnish bathroom giant bought the Bath Street (?)  factory – which makes products for the Twyford and Doulton bathroom brands – to establish a UK foothold. The Caradon plumbing division, which employs 4,000 people, was sold in October as part of a £442 million disposal of the Caradon plumbing division to venture capitalist HSBC Private equity. Subsequent disposal of Caradon Bathrooms, which has has the bulk of its 950 workforce in Alsager with smaller sites in Cliffe Vale, Stoke-on-Trent, and Kent, will allow the plumbing division to focus on its shower, boiler and radiator business. Caradon Bathrooms currently holds 20 per cent of the UK market with sales of £70 million in 1999. A team of experts from Caradon and Sanitec will oversee the integration of the two merging businesses.

A spokesman said a "handful" of employees in centralised roles at the Alsager works could face the loss of their jobs in April, although stressed that they will be offered new roles within the company. A decision on exact numbers will be made at the end of this month.


  • Berndt Brunow, secretary and CEO of Sanitec, said the move was a "logical step" forward. He said: "Caradon Bathrooms is a quality player that is increasing its market share in an important market. Twyford, Doulton and Royal Doulton are strong quality brands." 
  • George Ellis, aged 62, has worked for the company for 42 years as a sprayer. He believes the takeover could be a positive move for the company, but is waiting to see what is revealed in Monday's meeting. He said: "It might be good for the company, but anyway it is something we will just have to accept. HSBC had it before and they came in to make as much money as they could out of it. I am quite optimistic. We have only been told about it today but we really just have to take it.
  • Martin Brereton, aged 25, of Alsager, is uncertain about what the takeover means for him and his wife, who also works at the factory. He said: "At the moment we really don't know what is happening. The workload will be halved which means the work force will be halved as well. "I am a bit anxious because me and my wife work at the same company and if we both go it will be quite bad."


2001 July  Sanitec acquired by BC Partners. A privately owned company, wholly owned by its senior executives




2001  Twyford introduced the first British made, specially designed, valve operated toilet suite to the UK market.  The VIEW suite.

2001 July  Twyford's "concept toilet" - The VIP - launched to critical acclaim.
 



2002 June  Twyford introduced a new range of products which were designed specifically to aid installation.  Total Install

2003 January  Twyford Bathrooms added a new brand to its portfolio. The brand is REVITA and the product range included hydromassage showers and baths.

2003 May  Twyford | PURE -Twyford launches new retail portfolio of upmarket bathroom suites. 

2004 November  GEO, a new range of shower enclosures launched.

2005  Twyford brand logo is redesigned.



2005 April  Sanitec aquired by EQT Private Equity, from BC Partners

"EQT invests in companies, sectors and regions where there is an opportunity to make a genuine difference through a consistent application of an industrial approach, access to specialist expertize and a strategy geared towards growth and development. The ownership mission is to invest to create strong and sustainable businesses, bringing great companies to future owners."



2006  Royal Doulton Bathrooms brand withdrawn. Royalities for the use of the name paid to Royal Doulton Ltd come to a halt.

2007 January  Twyford’s Sola range completely overhauled and the RIMLESS PAN launched.

2007 8th July  EQT and Sanitec (Just two years after EQT acquired the company) sell Twyford's Alsager site to Lagan Group, Belfast.  

"Twyford's is remaining on site as the major tenant, however, with an element of its operations moving into mainland Europe this releases 26 acres of land suitable for potential mixed-use development." Lagan Group

2008  Twyford | PURE range of products withdrawn

2010 May  EQT and Sanitec close Twyford's Alsager Ceramic Sanitaryware factory.  

"It's clearly a very sad and hugely regrettable day. The guys on the shop floor and the operations and manufacturing management have worked wonders to get the efficiency to the point where it is, so it's not a reflection on them, but it is a huge consequence for them. We've been manufacturing on that site since 1959 and, if you go back to the very beginning, nearly 300 years in the region altogether." MD Twyford Bathrooms

2011 August  Sanitaryware production in halted after 162 years. Factory at Alsager, Stoke on Trent closed. Demolition of the factory commences to make way for Sainsbury's. Offices remain.

"Sainsbury's would like to bring a new foodstore to Alsager, on part of the Twyford Bathrooms site off Linley Lane, and have submitted a planning application to Cheshire East Council. Part of the Twyford Bathrooms factory was closed in 2011, leaving large parts of the site unused. The company has been downsizing their UK manufacturing operation since 2007 but, in partnership with the landlord Lagan (Alsager) Ltd, they have been able to maintain their sales, marketing, customer services and logistics operations on the site. In 2010, Lagan consulted on a proposed masterplan for the site, which included around 400 new homes. As part of this masterplan, an area was designated for retail in the south-east corner of the site. Sainsbury’s would now like to use this area for a new 25,000 sq ft store and a decision on the planning application is expected in the next few months" 


2012 March  Planning permission for the proposed Sainsbury supermarket is refused.

2012 October/November  Twyford's Bath Street Works, off Huntbach Street in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, is finally demolished. Terracotta ornaments on the outside of the building were rescued by the City Council and put in store.

2012 28 December  Twyford's Garner Street or "Etruria Works" goes up in smoke. The factory was split up into industrial units when the works shut. It was reported that 30 business were active on the site when an enormous fire broke out.  Many of the businesses were affected.

2013 3 April  Sainsbury’s Application approved. Cheshire East’s Strategic Planning Board unanimously approved the Sainsbury’s Supermarket application at their meeting on Wednesday so the development on the Twyfords site will go ahead.

2013 October  Plans submitted for £3.6m supermarket. Further detailed plans submitted for a scheme by Lagan (Alsager) Ltd and J Sainsbury Plc at the Twyford Bathrooms site in Lawton Road at Alsager, Stoke on Trent. This scheme comprises of demolition and the construction of a Sainsbury's supermarket of 4,254sqm with a petrol filling station and associated car parking. Hadfield Cawkwell Davidson are the architects who designed this £3.6 million scheme.

2014  Demolition of Alsager factory proceeds, slowed by presence of asbestos.

2014  Twyford invested £150k in a brand new showroom at its Alsager plant. The investment is part of parent company Sanitec’s strategic plans to raise the profile of the Twyford brand and coincides with the upcoming summer launch of major new ceramic and shower enclosure ranges. It also showcases the five design collections in the luxury brand Keramag Design.



2014 September  Sanitec continues to be owned by EQT Private Equity.


In 2013 net sales in Sanitec amounted to EUR 702 million. The production network includes 18 production facilities throughout Europe and currently Sanitec employs approximately 6,200 people. The head office is located in Helsinki, Finland. The shares in Sanitec Corporation are traded on NASDAQ Stockholm under the symbol “SNTC

2014 14th October  Geberit AG announced a public offer to the shareholders of Sanitec Corporation to tender all shares in Sanitec to Geberit at a price of SEK 97 in cash per share. Geberit CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors Albert M. Baehny comments as follows:

“This transaction will make us the leader in the sanitary products industry and expand the addressable market for Geberit. We will strengthen our access to end consumers and our presence in showrooms. These aspects are crucial, especially in those markets where end consumers are the key decision makers. The transaction is a promising union of leading brands in the areas of sanitary technology and bathroom ceramics. The outstanding reputation of both companies for product quality and reliability, service and innovation combined with strong brands make this combination a perfect match.”

2014 27th November  Sainsbury deny new store is to be scrapped. Sainsbury has scotched rumours that its proposed Alsager foodstore would no longer be going ahead...

2015 February  Sanitec sold by EQT Private Equity to Geberit.


2015 3rd February  The Offer was declared unconditional by Geberit on 3 February 2015. Geberit announced that it completed the settlement of the acquisition of 99.08% Sanitec shares tendered in the Offer.  Geberit owns Sanitec - and hence Twyford Bathrooms. The Geberit Group is the European market leader in sanitary technology with a global orientation. Geberit has its own representatives in 41 countries. The range includes the product areas of sanitary systems and piping systems. Geberit brand products are innovative, durable and eco-efficient.

The Geberit Group is the European market leader in sanitary technology with a global orientation.
Geberit has its own representatives in 41 countries.
The range includes the product areas of sanitary systems and piping systems.
Geberit brand products are innovative, durable and eco-efficient.

2015 27th February  The last day of trading in the Sanitec shares on Nasdaq Stockholm was on 27 February 2015. For Geberit, the merger with Sanitec represents an expansion of its strategic focus. The future product offerings will be enhanced with bathroom ceramics. The new company will be the market leader for sanitary products in Europe, combining behind-the-wall technical know-how with in-front-of the-wall design competence. Geberit is excited about the prospect of collaborating with Sanitec’s professional and knowledgeable staff to extract the expected significant benefits from the combination of the two companies. All elements of the integration and target organization will be developed jointly with representatives from both companies.

2015 9th March  The Extraordinary General Meeting of Sanitec Corporation.  CEO of Geberit Group, Christian Buhl, was elected as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sanitec.

“I want to thank Sanitec’s previous Board of Directors, chaired by Fredrik Cappelen, as well as the Top Management Team of Sanitec, lead by President & CEO Peter Nilsson, for their professional work and commitment during the recent years to bring Sanitec back to operational profitability. I also want to express our gratitude for their important contribution during the past months in the acquisition process and for their continued support to ensure a smooth and efficient integration of Sanitec into Geberit Group”, says Christian Buhl, Chairman of Sanitec’s Board of Directors and CEO of Geberit Group.

2015 11th June  Further negotiations for the Sainsbury’s development in Alsager have still been going ahead despite the company withdrawing its plans for stores nationwide after reporting a heavy financial loss. Since the company was given planning permission for a supermarket at the former Twyford’s Bathroom’s site last year there hasn’t been any noticeable development. Congleton Chronicle.

2015 Autumn Sainsbury's abandon plans to develop the Alsager site?

2015 11th December  Twyfords Alsager sales office shuts. Sales administration moves to Geberit offices in Warwick. Remaining staff at Alsager describe it as "the end of and era"

2016 July Demolition of Alsager factory continues.

2016 26th July 30 firefighters battle fire at Twyford factory site in Alsager. More here> in The Sentinel newspaper.

2016 16th August - from the Geberit Group half year results media release. "Half-Year Report as of 30 June 2016. Status of Sanitec integration: The integration is proceeding according to plan. Geberit and the former Sanitec sales units have been operating as one company with common ordering and invoicing processes in all markets since 1 January 2016. In 2016, the focus falls on the harmonisation of processes and realisation of synergies."

2016 19th August Five years after the closure of the Alsager Factory and demolition continues as the future of the site remains uncertain.

2016 30th August Demolition of the Alsager Factory comes close to conclusion





2016 16th December The main offices on the Alsager site are finally closed. Remaining staff are moved across to the 'NDC Offices'. These are on the same site, at Alsager, but connected to the Logistics Warehouse.

Twyford's main offices on the Alsager site closed on 16 Dec 2016

Twyford's NDC offices with warehouse behind


2017 January  Geberit, now the owner of the Twyfords Brand, decide to pull the brand from retail sales and only use it for products destined for commercial properties.

2017 January  The Twyford Alsager factory from the air. Note the massive concrete floor plan with deep holes for storage arks, bottom middle. The NDC (National Distribution Centre is the large light grey cladded building on the left. The sales office and showroom building was the red brick building near the top just off to the left. The dark grey slab in front of this was the staff car park. Many thanks to Alsager Computers for permission to use the image. www.alsagercomputers.co.uk

Twyford Alsager factory from the air
Photo source:  www.alsagercomputers.co.uk

back to top>